jueves, 17 de octubre de 2013

Surprises.


Has it happened lately to you that a particular day ends with a totally unexpected surprise? It's been a while since I had such a day and I must say it was quite beautiful. For some of you it might sound strange to know that finding spinning wheels in Mexico is not easy at all. Well it is pretty much like finding a needle in a haystack. The way thread is handspinned in Mexico is through a spindle which obviously requires practice, patience and skill.
Well, just by doing a quick search over the web I learned that someone close to home was actually selling a real spinning wheel brought into Mexico from Germany. Well, I was thrilled. I ended that very day purchasing it and feeling very lucky about it. Why? Because it is a real antique flax spinning wheel with more than a hundred years old. When I look at it my mind tries to imagine who owned and used it, and which must have been her story. I own it now, somehow destiny wanted me to find it because very few people can appreciate something like this like me. It is so sad that very rarely people here actually know what a spinning wheel is. I find this to be so sad, especially when spinning wheels were once a very important household item whose presence was crucial to the well being of a family. I can't wait to make my own history with it. It is amazing that it still works! I just love how it looks in my studio next to my loom.

So now jumping to another favourite topic -knitting-, I recently finished this fabulous sweater designed by Debbie Bliss. I obviously used a different yarn than the one suggested from her line because although I did see it at a store I considered it to be extremely expensive. So back in Mexico I found a very beautiful handspinned all wool yarn made in Aguascalientes, Mexico. I love the results and can't wait to use this coming winter.

Thanks for visiting!



No hay comentarios: